Serves 3 to 4
1.5 cups poha – red or white beaten rice or flattened rice
1 large onion, finely chopped
¼ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp mustard seeds
10-12 curry leaves
1 or 1.5 tbsp oil
salt as required
2 tsp lemon juice
Handful of Fresh grated coconut (for garnishing)
Little chopped coriander (for garnishing)
1. When making poha first rinse them well in a strainer or a colander and soak them for about 5 mins till the grain is soft enough. They should loose their crunchiness and when you break them between your finger, they should easily get crushed or mashed.
2. Now add lemon juice, salt and turmeric powder to the poha and gently mix and keep it aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan.
4. Crackle the mustard seeds.
5. Then add onions and saute them till they become translucent.
6. Add curry leaves
7. Saute for half a minute.
8. Cover and steam the poha for 2-3 minutes on a low flame.
9. When cooking check after 1 or 1.5 minutes and give a stir again.
10. Switch off the fire and let the poha remain covered for 1-2 minutes.
11. Remove the lid and garnish it with coriander leaves and fresh grated coconut.
12. Serve hot with a steaming cup of tea.